Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What Michelle Obama didn't say: "my country"


Jerry noticed an interesting pattern: in her rehearsed speeches, Ms. Obama never, ever says "my country."

For example, in her speech last night, Michelle Obama told fellow Democrats 'why I love this country':

"The same conviction that drives the men and women I've met all across this country."
"The servicemen and -women who love this country so much, they leave those they love most to defend it..."
"And you see, that is why I love this country."
"I have tried to give back to this country that has given me so much."
"...fighting to ensure the men and women who serve this country are welcomed home..."
"...how this time, in this great country..."

Consider these excerpts of Michelle Obama's speech at a Women for Obama Luncheon in 2007:

"...I’ve had an opportunity to take a few trips around the country..."
"...He sees it in the eyes of women he meets throughout the country..."
"...We can be a part of changing the way women are viewed in this country..."
"...I want that for your daughters. I want that for this country..."
"...I need you to get people to write... checks... to build a movement that is going to change this country..."

Or these lines from a depressing stump speech in My 2008:

...and had contacts throughout the country.
...the sad irony is that that’s exactly what’s happening to most Americans in this country.
...And like every single child in this room, in this country...
...in 2008, with all the struggle that we’ve had, in this country...
...See, and the beauty of this country is that most Americans are like my father...
...There are millions of them all over this country...
...No Child Left Behind is not doing what it needs to do for children in this country.
They exist all over this country.
...the only person in this race who I believe has a chance of uniting this country...
...for all these kids around the country...

To be fair, I did find one instance where Ms. Obama called the U.S. "my country":

"People in this country are ready for change and hungry for a different kind of politics, and ... for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

It's depressing, that. It truly is.

No comments: